The online Master of Engineering in cybersecurity policy and compliance is designed to help professionals from a variety of backgrounds level up in the field ― IT workers, recent graduates, engineers, project management professionals and software developers, among others.
The multidisciplinary curriculum, designed by world-class GW faculty in partnership with industry experts, provides a broad overview of the information assurance policies that sustain and scale various organizations. Courses explore the intersections of technology, policy and business, allowing students to evolve their understanding of necessary information security implementations.
During the program, you’ll have the chance to develop an advanced understanding of key issues in cybersecurity and policy, honing skills you can apply immediately to your career, including:
- Enterprise-specific strategies and policies
- Situational awareness procedure design
- Risk management
- Mobility solution development
- Forensic analysis and predictive analytics
Upon completion of the program, students will be prepared to pursue careers in both the public and private sector, such as:
- Computer Forensic Investigator
- Computer Network Defense Engineer
- Computer Security Specialist
- Cyber Operations Planner
- Cyberthreat Intelligence Analyst
- Cybercrime Technology Director
- Cybersecurity Architect
- Cybersecurity or Information Security Manager
- Information Security Analyst/Architect
- Information Security Governance/ Risk Manager
- Information Security Officer
- Information Systems Security Analyst
- IT Director or Supervisor
- IT Security Consultant
- Legislative Assistant
- Network or Data Center Manager
- Product Manager
- Secure Software Assurance Engineer
- Security Engineer
- Security Operations Manager
The online Master of Engineering in cybersecurity analytics offers practical experience using cybersecurity and analytics tools to identify and mitigate damage from an array of cyberthreats. The curriculum comprehensively covers traditional methods for intrusion detection and assessing information security risks as well as new approaches such as semantic analysis of open-source intelligence (e.g., social media).
Some of the key areas covered in the curriculum include:
- Cyber forensics
- Network defense
- Cloud computing security
- Auditing and intrusion detection
- Applied data analytics
- Hardware and software security
- Security data visualization
The program is designed to provide the foundational technical skills that are needed to excel in a cybersecurity career, so it is accessible to those who are looking to enter the field. At the same time, experienced professionals will benefit from the chance to network with GW’s experienced faculty, share their knowledge with each other and further refine their expertise through practical exercises.
GW was founded in 1821 through an Act of Congress. Since then, it has become the largest university in the D.C. metropolitan area, deeply interwoven with the culture and industries of the city. GW offers its students access to opportunities in many different fields with the unquestionable confidence of graduating from a respected, reputable institution of higher learning.
The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) at the George Washington University has been bringing together great minds in industry and government since the 1800s. Throughout time, it has evolved to help professionals meet the technological challenges of the day.
GW’s heritage of innovation and excellence has earned us many accolades, including:
- U.S. News & World Report
- #15 Best Online Master’s in Engineering Programs
- #12 Best Online Master's in Engineering Programs for Veterans
- #10 Best Online Master’s in Engineering Management Programs
- The Princeton Review
- A ‘Best Northeast’ college in “2020 Best Colleges: Region by Region”
- Colleges That Create Futures
- Green Colleges
- #44 in Research Universities
For more information and a full list of courses and descriptions, download our free program brochure.